Creating a storage facility with shipping containers is an ingenious way to repurpose these robust structures. Known for their durability and versatility, shipping containers offer a cost-effective and environmentally friendly solution for storage needs.
This guide will walk you through the process of transforming a mundane shipping container into a functional and secure storage facility, whether it’s for your personal use or for a commercial venture.
Advantages of Using Shipping Containers for Storage
Shipping containers present several benefits when used as storage units. First and foremost, their solid construction ensures they are weatherproof and robust, holding up under harsh conditions. Shipping containers are made with high-quality steel, designed to withstand long sea journeys, making them perfect for long-term storage.
Secondly, they offer scalability. Depending on your storage needs, you can choose from different container sizes, or even stack them, allowing your storage capacity to grow with your needs.
Thirdly, shipping containers are a cost-effective option. Compared to building a traditional storage unit, using shipping containers can significantly reduce costs.
Finally, using shipping containers for storage is an excellent example of sustainable practices, as it involves repurposing existing resources instead of consuming new ones. This re-use contributes to environmental sustainability, making shipping containers a green alternative to traditional storage solutions.
Types of Shipping Containers Available for Storage
OZBOX offers a variety of shipping containers suitable for different storage needs:
- 10-Foot Containers: The smallest option provided by OZBOX, these compact containers are perfect for storage in smaller spaces. Despite their size, they offer significant storage space and are ideal for personal or small business use.
- 20-Foot Containers: These are the most commonly used shipping containers. Their size makes them versatile, and suitable for a wide range of storage needs. They’re robust, weatherproof and secure, just like their smaller counterparts.
- 40-Foot Containers: The largest option available, these containers provide an incredible amount of storage space. Ideal for businesses with extensive storage needs, they can be used to store large equipment, vehicles or voluminous items.
- Refrigerated Containers: For those requiring temperature-controlled storage, OZBOX offers refrigerated containers. These are ideal for storing perishable goods, chemicals, or other items that need to be kept at a certain temperature.
- Dangerous Goods Containers: These are designed to safely store items that are hazardous or flammable. They are built to adhere to strict safety standards, ensuring that potentially dangerous goods are safely contained.
- Modified Containers: For those with unique storage needs, OZBOX also offers modified containers. These can be customised to meet specific requirements, whether it’s adding shelving, insulation, extra doors, windows or even converting them into office spaces.
Each type of container offered by OZBOX has unique features that address different storage needs, ensuring there’s a container for every situation. Learn more about the common sizes of shipping containers.
Considerations When Choosing the Right Size Container
When choosing the right size container, it’s also important to consider the various configurations available that can be tailored to your specific needs.
- Open Side Containers: These containers feature doors that open on the long side, providing easy access to the entire storage space. This design is ideal for loading large items or when regular access to stored items is required.
- Open Top Containers: Containers with an open top are perfect for storing goods that need to be loaded from the top, such as heavy machinery or bulky equipment. They usually come with a removable tarpaulin cover to protect the contents from the elements.
- High Cube Containers: These containers offer an extra foot in height compared to standard containers. This means they provide more volume, making them suitable for storing taller items or when maximum storage capacity is required.
- Double Door Containers: As the name suggests, double-door containers have doors at both ends. This allows for easy loading and unloading of items from either end and can significantly improve accessibility.
- Three-Door Containers: These types of containers have an additional door in the middle of one of the longer sides, making it even easier to access your stored items without the need to unload other items first.
These different configurations can greatly enhance the functionality of your storage container. It’s crucial to assess your storage needs carefully to select the most suitable container type and configuration.
Designing a Secure and Accessible Facility with the Container
Designing a secure and accessible facility using storage containers requires careful planning and strategising. First and foremost, the layout should be designed to promote easy access to each container. This could mean arranging containers in a grid pattern or in a way that leaves ample space between them for movement.
Security is another paramount consideration. Containers should be equipped with robust locking mechanisms to prevent unauthorised access. Some containers come with built-in lock boxes, but additional measures like CCTV cameras and security lighting can also be installed to enhance security.
The interior of the containers can be customised to suit specific storage needs. For example, shelves or pallet racking can be installed to optimise space, while insulation and ventilation systems can be added to maintain the right temperature and prevent humidity build-up.
Lastly, ensure that the facility is compliant with local zoning laws and building codes. Consult with an engineer or construction professional if needed. All these aspects, when thoughtfully addressed, will contribute to a well-functioning, secure and accessible facility designed with storage containers.
Utilise the Space Around the Container for Additional Storage Solutions
While the interior of the storage container is designed to hold and protect your belongings, the peripheral space around the container also offers opportunities for additional storage solutions.
One way to utilise this space is by installing external shelving units or lockers which can accommodate items that are more resilient to weather conditions, such as garden tools or outdoor furniture.
You may also consider setting up a canopy or awning to create a sheltered outdoor storage area. This space can be used for temporary storage during periods of loading and unloading, or for items that are frequently required and need to be easily accessible.
Moreover, the space can also host a bicycle rack or a space for parking equipment. Remember, any external additions should not obstruct access to the containers and should adhere to local zoning regulations.
Important Safety Measures to Put in Place When Building a Storage Facility with Shipping Containers
Implementing Fire Safety and Security Measures
In building a storage facility with shipping containers, there are several crucial safety measures to consider.
Fire Safety: Ensure that fire safety measures are put in place, including the installation of fire extinguishers at strategic points around the facility. Fire alarms and smoke detectors should also be part of your safety installations, as they provide early warning in the event of a fire.
It’s also advisable to store flammable and combustible materials according to safety guidelines and to have a detailed emergency evacuation plan in place.
Security Measures: Given the valuable assets that may be stored within, it’s paramount to establish reliable security measures. Considering reinforced locks and doors for the containers can add an extra level of protection. Surveillance cameras and lighting around the facility can deter unauthorised access and theft. It may also be advantageous to have a secure perimeter around the facility, such as a fence with a gated entrance.
Remember, while these measures can significantly enhance the safety and security of your storage facility, it’s important to regularly review and update them as necessary to address evolving threats and risks.